WHAT IS BIG HEARTED BUSINESS, AND WHO DOES IT HELP?
Big Hearted Business is built to be the kind of resource we wish had existed long before we did, and it all centres around this here little website, which is home to an exceptional and free collection of “Inspiration Bombs” (aka master-class film and sound collaborations between artists, thinkers and teachers), and our BHB Directory.
Big Hearted Business is, essentially, a website and now a movement which supports and educates big-hearted people from all walks of life in the art of making a living doing what you love, while taking care of yourself AND contributing to the world in some meaningful way. We don’t pretend this adventure is simple, or easy: in fact, quite the opposite (“Livin’ on the edge!). We know these challenges intimately because we share them. Wouldn’t swap it for quids.
HOW DID BIG HEARTED BUSINESS BEGIN?
Big Hearted Business was founded in early 2013 thanks to Australian musician Clare Bowditch and the generous support of her family, friends, colleagues, and the 304 people who turned “the BHB idea” into one of the most successful crowd-funding campaigns in Australian history.
In short, Clare was tired of seeing talented, big-hearted people struggle to build successful long-term careers and businesses in sustainable ways, simply due to a lack of support and knowledge about how to make the most of our times.
She wanted to do something about it, and so did a whole lot of other people, and here you have it: a hub to encourage those who wish to use business and creativity as a vehicle to contribute to “the solution” (aka, building a world where we care about each other) than to the problem (short-term thinking, and a lack of care).
A LITTLE MORE ABOUT OUR FOUNDER:
B.H.B. founder Clare Bowditch is a musician, writer, and sometimes actor, who believes there is no better time in the history of history to be a big-hearted, independently-thinking, “sensitive creative type” who wants to make a living doing what they’re good at.
She first began mentoring “creative-types” over a decade ago as the leader of a “Musician’s Self Management and Promotion” course at her local community house, and considers BHB as an extension of that.
As for all the fancy stuff;
Clare Bowditch is one of Australia’s most successful ARIA Award-winning songwriters, as well as a Logie-nominated actor for her work on Channel 10′s “Offspring” TV show. She is currently working on her eighth album, scheduled for release via Island Records in 2015.
She’s had Top Ten albums, been named Rolling Stone Woman of the Year (Contribution to Culture), YEN Young Woman of the Year (Music), toured the world with Gotye and nationally with Leonard Cohen, written for Harpers Bazaar and the Drum, and currently hosts an Australian Music Show on Qantas.
Along with her right-hand-man Marty Brown, she has three young, delightful, rambunctious children, and believes that work-life balance is an elusive beast best portrayed in movies, and usually seen only out of the corner of one’s eye.
Clare is currently an Ambassador or sits on a panel for the following organisations: APRA, the Australia Council, The Live Music Round Table, PPCA, and Smiling Mind. Her music site is here. For testimonials about C.B. click here.
HOW DOES B.H.B. HELP PEOPLE?
There’s a whole page dedicated to this on the B.H.B. website (click here) but in short, we offer these three things
- Intelligent, good-looking educational resources (such as our free Inspiration Bomb Library, our Members Library for those who list themselves in our Directory ) focusing on the opportunities that exist today for individuals and businesses who care about stuff.
- A fresh type of “Live Event” (such as our B.H.B. (un-)Conference, Creative Retreats, Morning Teas, and in-house workshops which are built to appeal to people who are bored with the usual model). To date, every one of our events have sold out well in advance (how cool is that!).
- Opportunities for big-hearted people to get the word out about themselves and their products with integrity and good-design intact (see the B.H.B. Members Directory, which you can view by clicking on the above menu bar).
- Mostly, we connect B.H.B.’s to B.H.B.’s and help you build a supportive community of people who get where you’re coming from, potentially know more than you do, and understand that there really is room for everyone in here.
HOW IS BIG HEARTED BUSINESS FUNDED?
Our initial funding came thanks to the 304 individuals who supported our Pozible (crowd-funding) campaign (we are forever grateful!), and a good whack of personal savings.
Now-adays, Big Hearted Business is self-funded through our live events, B.H.B. Membership subscriptions, and our e-resources. We also work with a small number of sponsors for help contribute to the cash-pot and generous show-bags for our BHB (un-)Conference.
IS B.H.B. A SOCIAL ENTERPRISE?
Not really, no: we’re a big-hearted business. It means we attempt to run a GUN of a business, and we also make sure to attach social and community benefits to every thing we create in the world. For example;
- Our Inspiration Bombs feature people and ideas worth emulating. We create our educational resources with the understanding that we’re all sensitive, vulnerable human-beings in the world trying very hard to do our best.
- Our 2014 B.H.B. (un-)Conference turned out to be one of the largest waste-free food events ever run anywhere in the world (thanks to our collaboration with Joost Bakker).It was also one of the most extraordinarily affordable two-day business events in the history of the world (ask anyone!). And because it was such a sell-out success, we were able to offer 5% of our attendees a B.H.B. Scholarship to allow them to attend for free.
- Our beautiful B.H.B. Creative Retreat in Ubud donated 10% of it’s profits to Foundation 18
Our Big Fat Dream is that by the year 2018, we will be in a position to contribute 20% of our profits to partnerships and projects with N.F.P.’s who are helping solve the world’s most solvable problems. Fingers crossed we’re still up and running in five years time!
WHAT EXACTLY IS “A BIG HEARTED BUSINESS”?
It’s your term for the using, and we’re sure you’ll use it well. In a way, it’s very much people like you who are teaching people like us what a big-hearted business is.
One simple way of describing it might be to say that a big-hearted business is an enterprise that solves more problems than it creates. In general, these businesses are headed by independent thinking, creatively-inclined or big-hearted individuals who want to spend their working lives doing more of what they love, making great money, and using their good-fortune to positively contribute to the world (even just a littel bit).
If there was ever a time to take a somewhat-broken model and re-invent it, this is that time, and B.H.B.’s are the people to do it.